March 24th, 2020
Statement from Hamilton County Sheriff, Dennis Quakenbush:
The safety and security of our citizen’s, employees and inmates is our top priority. In light of Governor Holcomb’s “Directive for Hoosiers to Stay Home” (Executive order 20-08) and the Hamilton County Commissioner’s closing of all non-essential operations, we wanted to provide an update regarding the operations at the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office.
All services to the public from the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office will continue. For a period of two weeks, beginning today at 4:30pm and continuing through 8:00am on April 7, 2020 access to all Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office facilities by the public will be restricted to only those members of the public needing to conduct services essential to the public health and safety and which can not otherwise be conducted electronically, telephonically and/or delayed and all other services required by a court order or by Indiana Law.
Here are some of the key changes in place in order to protect our community.
- All services to the public will continue. Please be patient as some of our staff will be working from home and limited administrative staff may be onsite.
- When you call dispatch (317-773-1282) or 911 patrol deputies will respond. Some investigations and initial reports may be handled with a telephone call to the complainant if the incident is not in progress. We will continue to proactively patrol and enforce the law.
- Do not come to our facility if your business can be handled over the phone, by email, or can otherwise be delayed. Almost all the administrative services we provide can be handled through these methods. Please call 317-773-1872 if you have any questions.
- We are taking precautions to ensure the safety of law enforcement, corrections staff and arrestees, but will continue to operate our corrections facilities without interruption. We have medical housing, quarantine areas, 24-hour professional medical staff to maintain a safe corrections environment.
- Please do not come to our facility for inmate visitations or commissary deposits. All jail visits and commissary transactions must be completed remotely utilizing our state-of-the-art GTL system. Please set up an account at the following website: https://www.gettingout.com/
- If you are required to come to our campus and are symptomatic, sick or have been in the last 72 hours, please call 317-773-1872 during business hours or 317-776-9800 after hours before you come.
- Crucial sex offender registration and verification will still occur on site.
- Fingerprinting can still be processed in our open lobby, but will occur outside the main window. We ask that these be limited to essential needs only when there is no possibility of delay.
- Necessary background checks, public record requests and many other inquiries should be requested via fax 317-776-9835 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will continue to conduct local background checks for gun permit applications and may be able to take care of this for you quickly, without you coming to our facility. Please call 317-773-1872 for assistance. As a reminder, this process must start at the Indiana State Police website at www.in.gov/isp/2829.htm
- Tax warrant payments can be mailed (money order or cashiers check) to the Sheriff’s Office or paid online using the following website: https://indianataxwarrants.com/
For up to date info on state COVID-19 guidelines please visit: www.in.gov/coronavirus
For up to date information on federal COVID-19 guidelines please visit: www.coronavirus.gov
Governor Holcomb’s executive orders: https://www.in.gov/gov/2384.htm
Indiana Stay-At-Home Order FAQ: https://www.in.gov/gov/3232.htm
Hamilton County Commissioners Press Release “All County Buildings to Close for Non-Essential Businesses” https://www.hamiltoncounty.in.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=1068
If you have any other questions, feel free to call 317-773-1872 for assistance and know that the men and women at the Sheriff’s office are working hard to “Keep Hamilton County Safe.”