Compliments & Complaints
The primary function of the Internal Affairs Unit is to investigate complaints of employee misconduct and violations of department policies and procedures. The Internal Affairs Unit ensures that all allegations are investigated thoroughly and objectively. The Hamilton County Sheriff's Office will investigate all complaints, alleged or suspected, from any source, that it receives against the agency or an employee whether made in person, by mail, by telephone, by email or by an anonymous person. The Internal Affairs Unit reports directly to the Sheriff.
The Hamilton County Sheriff's Office is committed to providing the most professional law enforcement services to the citizens we serve. The Sheriff's Office recognizes that its employees are responsible to the public for their conduct. At certain times a conflict may exist between a citizen and a member of the agency in the performance of his/her duties. Members of the public must be advised that if they feel an employee acts unjustly or they disagree with an agency policy that they should bring the matter to the attention of the agency. A citizen's complaint can be registered in the following ways:
- In-Person - Complaints can be made in-person, Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., by coming to the front lobby of the sheriff's office and asking to speak to an on-duty supervisor.
- In-Writing - Complaints can be made in writing by addressing them to:
Hamilton County Sheriff's Office
18100 Cumberland Road
Noblesville, Indiana 46060
Submitting a Complaint
Download a copy of our Citizens Complaint form (PDF) Opens a New Window. then submit it:
- By Phone - You can initiate a complaint via phone by calling 317-776-1588
- By Email - You can initiate a complaint via email by completing the "Citizens Complaint" form and emailing it to our office.
- Anonymous - You can initiate a complaint by remaining anonymous. This can be done by the means listed above and not providing your personal information.
Commending Superior Performance
If you wish to commend the actions of any Hamilton County Sheriff's Office employee, you can visit or call the Sheriff's Office and ask to speak to a supervisor, or write us a letter anytime. When commending an employee, try to remember the name of the deputy or other employee, and the circumstances of how you were helped. Commendations received by the Sheriff will result in advising the employee of your gratitude and in permanently recording his/her actions and your appreciation in the employee's personnel file. An awards committee reviews all reports of outstanding performance and an appropriate award may follow.