Potter's Family History
The land on which Potter's Bridge is located was originally owned by Richard F. Lytle, and was deeded to his daughter Sarah Elizabeth Lytle, who married William A. Potter. The Potter Family deeded the land and bridge to Hamilton County.
Potter's Bridge History
Bridge is the focal point of Potter's Bridge Park and is the last
remaining original covered bridge in Hamilton County. It was built by
Josiah Durfee and Company of Hamilton County in 1870 to 1871 and was
originally named Potter's Ford Covered Bridge. It measures 246 feet
long, 22 feet wide and 20 feet tall. The Hamilton County Commissioners
approved the building of the bridge in October 1870. Covered bridges
were built throughout the county to serve a growing need for better
roadways to reach the growing country side and towns of Hamilton County.
In 1946, the bridge went through dramatic change by having the Type-3 Howe Truss metal design implemented. William Howe, who patented the Howe Truss construction, used iron rods vertically to strengthen and lighten the truss and this kept the structure in perfect alignment.
The bridge closed for vehicle travel in 1971 due to the poor condition of the bridge caused by deterioration.
Potter's Bridge Historic Status
In 1978, Potter's Bridge was listed in the Indiana Historic Sites and Structures inventory. Potter's Bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
Potter's Bridge Restoration
On November 4, 1998 restoration of Potter's Covered Bridge and creation of Potter's Bridge Park began with a ceremony held at the bridge. Also in 1998, land was acquired from Helen Daniels, Jamison-Cottingham Family, Edward Heinzmann, and the White River Christian Church for the construction of the White River Greenway Trail.
On September 18, 1999, a ceremony was held celebrating the restoration of Potter's Bridge and the grand opening of Potter's Bridge Park and the White River Greenway Trail and canoe launch.
On September 18, 1999, a ceremony was held celebrating the restoration of Potter's Bridge and the grand opening of Potter's Bridge Park and the White River Greenway Trail.
Potter's Bridge Park Today
In 1972, Potter's Bridge was acquired by Hamilton County Parks and Recreation Department. During 1995, an additional 30 acres was purchased from Emily Morrison and Family to add to Potter's Bridge Park.