This land, along the White River, was purchased in April 1997 from Kenneth G. Stern, Keith A. Stern, and Diana K. Stern. The original name of the property was Strawtown Farm. The park was later renamed to Lafayette Trace Park after the Lafayette Trace Trail which crossed through the property and many parts of Indiana including Randolf, Delaware, Madison, Hamilton, Boone, Clinton, and Tippecanoe counties.
Lafayette Trace Trail & Central Canal
The Lafayette Trace Trail was the 1st east to west trail across central
Indiana and one of the main roads in 1835. The trail was a Native
American trail and connected several historical Native American and
white settlements making this property significant in Indiana's history.
The land also includes remnants of the Central Canal. The canal, which
began in downtown Indianapolis, was supposed to continue to Anderson. In
1837, the restoration came to a halt due to the depression.
Lafayette Trace Park Today
In 2007, a boat ramp was constructed at the park through a partnership
with Indiana Department of Natural Resources. The plans for the park
include trails, overlooks, scout group camping area, prairie, multi-use
areas, and a rentable year round shelter facility.