Hamilton County Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
Our next course is starting soon! Class YANKEE will be held on eight consecutive Wednesday evenings from September 22 to November10. Class size is limited, but we still have a few openings.
- CERT Basic Course Schedule for Class YANKEE
- Open to the Public
- Watch CERT in Action video Opens a New Window.
CERT Program Requirements:
CERT members are a critical component of their community and the county’s emergency management program. Dedicated volunteers play a key role during emergencies and disasters during the initial response, ongoing response, and recovery.
To ensure an effective program, new potential CERT members must agree to be a committed volunteer before completing the twenty-hour basic course and remain active by:
- Attending monthly team meetings
- Attending intermediate and advanced training courses
- Actively participate in response operations and special event support
- Maintain county-issued equipment to ensure readiness to respond during an emergency or disaster
Individuals wanting to take part in a HCEM Volunteer program must;
3. Submit your online application
4. Successfully complete an interview and background check after submitting the online application.
5. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an interview time. Background check forms will be completed during your interview.
6. Complete program training requirements and submit proof completed (see CERT Training section)
HCEM Background Check Policy:
All volunteers shall undergo a background check upon initial application and every two years after the volunteer’s start date. The purpose of the background check is to provide the citizens of Hamilton County with well-qualified volunteers who can serve in a public safety capacity as an “Emergency Management Worker” under Indiana Code 10-14-3-3. Individuals with a negative record may not be considered for volunteer positions.
For more information about CERT email CERT@hamiltoncounty.in.gov Opens a New Window.
What is CERT?
The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) is an all-volunteer community group who teaches the community about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations.
Hamilton County CERT
- CERT Teams have been in Hamilton County since the early 2000s, primarily based in municipalities, and sponsored by Fire Departments. The present Program was started in November 2010
- There are over 120 active CERT volunteers in the County
- Interest groups: Damage Assessment, Amateur (ham) radio, Medical Unit, Command/General Staff positions and support
- Local teams: Carmel, Cicero, Fishers, Britton Falls (Fishers), Noblesville and Westfield