General Recycling Area
Posted on November 25, 2020Hamilton County HHW Center Drop-Off & General Recycling Area Closed Thursday & Friday for Thanksgiving. BOTH will reopen Saturday Nov. 28th from 8am to 1pm.
Posted on November 10, 2020The Hamilton County HHW Center is Closed for 14 day quarantine beginning Nov. 10, 2020 through Thanksgiving. It will reopen Saturday Nov. 28th. Please register ahead! The General Recycling Area will be open its normal hours.
The Hamilton County General Recycling Area
The Hamilton County Household Hazardous Waste Center maintains a self-serve residential general recycling area. This area, which is directly south of the HHW Drop Off Center, offers recycling containers for all county residents to deposit general household recyclables.
This area is for Hamilton County RESIDENTIAL use only. Businesses and contractors are NOT allowed to use this area. Work directly with a vendor for recycling services at your business.
The current hours are 8am to 8pm daily. Starting September 1, 2020 the General Recycle Area will be open Tuesday - Friday 8am to 5pm and Saturdays 8am to 1pm. Closed on Sunday and Monday.
Recycling Materials Accepted
All materials must be loose, clean, and dry. NO PLASTIC BAGS of any kind in any of the recycling containers! Just because an item has the triangle arrows on it does not mean it is recyclable at our facility.
- Commingle Compactor: We will accept Aluminum & Steel Cans (NO SCRAP METAL!), Plastic bottles, jugs, and small containers (Nothing larger than a laundry detergent bottle! No plastic bags or wrap!). Glass jars & bottles can be put into the commingle compactor but may not be recycled by Republic. Please DO NOT bag recycling!
- Mixed Paper Compactor: We will accept loose/clean: Newspaper, Magazines, Packing Paper, Shopping Catalogs, Office and School Paper, Mail, NO SHREDDED PAPER. Please DO NOT bag recycling!
- Cardboard Compactors: CLEAN and flattened cardboard and paperboard only. (no cardboard with wax, tin or plastic). Please remove all Styrofoam!!
For more information, visit "Recycling Simplified" to know what can go into the compactors at the Hamilton County General Recycling Area Compactors. If Republic is your curbside recycling provider, this is also guidance on what you can put in your bin at home.
Scrap Metal Recycling
Any scrap metals and/or electronics (other than TVs) can go to a scrap metal recycle facility such as Ace Scrap Metal Recycling (1715 E 226th St, Cicero, IN 46034). For more information on what they accept visit their website https://acescrapmetalanddemolition.com/ or call them at (317)758-5495.
Materials NOT Accepted
- Styrofoam and/or Packing Peanuts - Take to Plastics Recycling 7601 Rockville Rd., Indianapolis.
- Trash or Garbage (including materials contaminated with oil or food) - Trash at home.
- Plastic Toys, Plastic Bags or Sheets of Plastic - Trash at Home.
- Grass Clippings or Yard Waste - Take to Greencycle
- Large Pieces of Plastic or Scrap Metals
- Windows or Panes of Glass - Trash at home or transfer station.
- Building Materials such as siding, shingles, boards, etc. - Take to a transfer station
- "When in doubt, throw it out" - If you are not sure what type of plastic or material it is do NOT put it in the compactor. Throw it in your curbside garbage at home. Just because a plastic item has a number with the triangle does not mean it is recyclable at our facility. Visit Republic's website www.recyclingsimplified.com to find out what is and is not recyclable at their facility.
FACILITY IS UNDER SURVEILLANCE, DUMPING IS PROHIBITED
- Items not placed in the corresponding containers will be considered illegally dumped. The area is under surveillance.
- Violation of illegal dumping ORDINANCE SEC. 13-21-4-1, upon conviction, shall be fined an amount not to exceed $2,500.00.